Friday, July 31, 2009

Summer and Family...

Since I left Goldman in 2002 I have had the blessing of spending the summers with my family in Kelowna, BC Canada. Kelowna is where I grew up and there is something very special about being able to bring one's own children back to the place you, as a parent, have spent your childhood. For 2 months the 6 of us live together, our family of four and my parents, and it is truly a wonderful tradition...

Our property here is an orchard. We have over 10,000 fruit trees - apple, pear, peaches and cherries. All of us have our jobs - raking prunings, mowing grass, weeding, moving sprinkler pipes, feeding the crew, picking up garbage, picking fruit, selling it road-side. It is a working summer as well as a playing summer and is an amazing counter-balance to our Fairfield County structured life. Pictured left are my two children and their cousin selling Lapin Cherries at $2 a pound! I LOVE sitting road-side... talking to people, handing our samples and selling the 'fruits' of our collective labor, and so do my kids. ( though mostly my father's)
This may be my last post for a little while as I am heading off to Park City then to Savary Island, a remote island off the coast of BC, with the family..... Blessings to all.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey Jackie. If you havent left yet and you get this message, shoot me an email. I want to pick your brain about an article...
Lisa Belkin
belkin@nytimes.com