Monday, July 13, 2009

President Carter says - "Invest in Women"

A friend just sent me this piece from THE HINDU called "We Must Challenge The Way So Many Faiths Treat Women." It is an exceptional read by humanitarian and former US President, Jimmy Carter. I could not agree more that "religion has provided a reason or excuse for the deprivation of women’s equal rights across the world for centuries" and it has to end. My favorite lines were these...." The evidence shows that investing in women and girls delivers major benefits for everyone in society. An educated woman has healthier children. She is more likely to send them to school. She earns more and invests what she earns in her family." Sound familiar? This is the logic model that drives me in the work that I do in the world and is the logic model behind the Women's Funding Movement. Thank you President Carter for your words and your wisdom.

No comments: