Sunday, May 17, 2009

Rachel Alexandra, A Sign, Girl Power and Investing in Women Pays Off

It’s a sign. I know it is. Amid a field of all males, 12 to be exact, it is the girl that pulls out ahead. Yesterday Rachel Alexandra became the first filly to win the Preakness Stakes since 1924. I love this quote in the New York Times, “I think she’s the greatest horse in the country. That’s colts, fillies, boys, whatever. She is an amazing filly.” I especially like the “whatever” part.

So what is it a sign of you ask? It is a sign of GIRL POWER. It is a sign that change is happening. It is a sign that betting on women, betting on girls, will and does pay off! It is a sign that investing in women is a smart thing to do. Although you might think I have lost my mind I see it as yet another example to the world that girls and boys, men and women, colts and fillies, are meant to occupy the same places and spaces, have equal access and opportunity. This win IS about the best horse, but it also about the best horse being a girl!

I will close this brief entry with the theme I continuously write about in this blog. The theme is gender equity and gender equality. I want to live in a world where we have it, and because of it, it will be a most just and equitable place for all.

PS. I love horses, so does my daughter, and her name is Alexandra.

No comments: